skip navigation

Florida Gulf Coast University

Website Directory  

Career Development Services

Hiring an FGCU Student

 
 

Online Job Posting:

Our College Central Network now hosts all on-campus student positions making it easier for you to post!

Step #1: Determine the Status and Pay of the Position
There are two classifications:
Student Assistant - non college work study (non-CWS)
Student Assistant - college work study (CWS)

Note: For CWS positions, the Federal Work Study grant pays 75% of the student's wages while the department pays the remaining 25%. To take advantage of FWS funding, you may only hire students with CWS eligibility.

Step #2: Register in College Central Network

  • Print this page [.pdf] for you to refer to during the registration process.

  • Go to www.collegecentral.com/fgcu  Bookmark this site on your computer.

  • Select the Employers icon.  Read the information on the second screen.

  • Choose the link for Register Now.

  • Enter registration information.

  • Create an Access ID.  We recommend an ID that includes some part of your department name.

Once approved by our office, you will receive an email notification within two business days confirming your Access ID and informing you of your Password. Please write your Access ID and Password down so that you have it for your records.

The position will remain posted for 30 days. You will be notified before the position expires. You may then decide to extend the posting past the 30 days or you can allow the posting to expire. To have your position removed log into your profile and expire the posting.

Step #3: Posting your Jobs once Approved

  • Go to www.collegecentral.com/fgcu  and choose the Employers icon.

  • Click the link for Online Services.

  • Enter your Access ID and assigned Password.

From your account page, you may:
Update or Review Registration Information: Please keep your information up-to-date for the accuracy of our records.  

 Post a New Job

  • Give plenty of detail to make your postings attractive to students.

  • You may cut and paste job descriptions.

  • You can edit the application submission deadline date to best fit the job.

  • Be sure to list an email address in the contact information to receive applications electronically.

  • Make sure for Job Location that you choose On-Campus

Once you have posted a job, you can Post, Edit, Repost or Expire Job Postings In the Application Instructions field, please use the following text:

Please go online to access the On-Campus Job Application form. Fill the form out completely and take directly to the department.

Applications are accepted in person at _________ or by email.

Step #4: Once you have selected a Candidate

Career Development Services does not screen interested candidates.

Students will be contacting your department directly to apply for the position. The interviewing and selection process are left to the discretion of the hiring department.

  • If you are hiring for a work-study position, it is important that the student you have selected has received work-study funding. Some students don't know whether they are eligible for work study. Contact Financial Aid at 590-7920 to confirm a student's status. Complete a “Personnel Action Form” which can be found on the Human Resources Forms website: http://www.fgcu.edu/HR/formsbyname.asp or complete the form electronically using an EPAF (Electronic Payroll Action Form) on Gulfline.

  • If you are hiring a CWS Student Assistant: send the completed form to Financial Aid so they may ensure the student is eligible for work-study.

  • If you are hiring a non-CWS Student Assistant: send the completed form directly to Human Resources.

  • If the student selected has not worked on campus before, contact Human Resources at 590-1400 for the schedule of new employee payroll sign-on.

 Please also see this guide from NACE regarding the Ethical and Legal Standards in Student Hiring.